Fried Bananas

Fried Bananas
in full sun with purple petunias

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

White Garden

Well, I finished mulching the White Garden today.  It took two days to do it and it took about 2 1/2 yards of mulch, because this bed is so big.  There are two large plants in this garden, a Rose of Sharon that is about 15 feet high and as wide that was here when we bought the property, and a Kousa dogwood that was given to me by the Country School parents in Weston.  The Kousa is two years old  and is doing well.  It will continue to get bigger and provide more shade for the North side of this garden.  Most of what I have put into the garden thus far have been Hosta, Heuchera and Daylilies.  I've also recently added two Peonies, a Hibiscus, some Echinacea, Irises, and Phlox Paniculata 'David'.  I've also planted lots of bulbs including white crocus, Daffodil Mt. Hood, Allium (white of course) and Lilies.  

I found the Lily bulbs that were dug up by the squirrels, at least I found 4 of them.  Apparently, they didn't like the taste of the bulbs with the repellent I put on them and thus spit them out.  I stepped on one yesterday and then scoured the yard for the others.  They were a little worse for wear after having been dug up and half eaten by squirrels, but I replanted them anyway.   We'll see if they remain in the ground and if they grow next Spring.  Odd that the squirrels haven't bothered with Oriental Lily 'Casablanca' only 'Siberia'. 

Well there is much more room in the White Garden, especially in the sun areas.  I still have to find the plants for next Spring.  Having room to plant is a good thing. 
Hosta Fire and Ice in front of a white salvia in the White Garden

Tomorrow, more mulching, some digging and picking up leaves with the lawnmower.

No comments:

Post a Comment