Fried Bananas

Fried Bananas
in full sun with purple petunias

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mulching

It was still foggy and misty this morning until about 11:00 a.m.  The total of rain that we had yesterday was 1.5 inches.  A good amount that should keep everything well watered for a few days. 

Autumn Frost mulched
The second 3 yards of mulch was delivered this morning at 7:00 a.m.  It was still dark at that time so I waited til about 9 to begin to spread it.  This is going to take me a while since I'm weeding before spreading the mulch.  Today I finished the back NE foundation bed and the little section on the NW side of the foundation as well.  I also got about halfway through the Shirashiwanum bed  on the SE side.  That was slow going due to the fact that it was full of weeds.  However, it looks like 6 yards is going to be plenty of mulch.  I may end up with more than I need.  If so, I'll put some under a tarp and save it for when I need it later.  The mulch that I got from Whittier's is hemlock and it is of high quality.  It's very fine, with no large pieces.  It's a natural color, not that ugly red, or black or brown of dyed mulch, and it looks great in the beds.  Here's a pic of H. Autumn Frost newly surrounded by mulch.

Two things arrived today.  UPS brought 5 bulbs of the Oriental Lily 'Siberia'.  Siberia is an all white cultivar supposed to be superior to Casablanca.  We'll see.  It will be planted near Casablanca  in the shadow of Peony 'Krinkled White' in the White Garden.  Should be a nice addition to that garden.

The other item arrived by Post.  It is seeds from Lakeside Breeder #4.  I bought these from M&M seeds, actually it's from Jeff Miller at Land of the Giants.  There were a lot of seeds in the envelope.  I think I'll freeze these for a while before planting them this winter.  Thus far I have seeds from Lakeside Breeder #4, Hi Ho Silver, and Epson Derby.  The seeds from Epson Derby are a gift from Rick Goodenough.  They are OP and consist of a scape full of seed pods.  I had pulled off the pods and put them in an envelope to dry.  Today I checked the envelope and some of the pods had opened.  They are full of seeds.  More seeds than I can possibly plant.  Should be fun this winter seeing if I can get anything interesting from these seeds.  I may winter sow some of the Epson Derby seeds because there are so many.

Tomorrow I'll plant the Lily bulbs and see if I can finish weeding and mulching two more beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment