Fried Bananas

Fried Bananas
in full sun with purple petunias

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hosta Meeting

Went to Tower Hill Botanic Garden today for the meeting of the New England Hosta Society.  Nice group.  I spent $20 on raffle tix and won a $25 gift certificate at Mason Hollow Nursery.  This is one of my favorite places to shop so it's a bargain.  I also won a Variegated Liriope and some clay pots.  Not bad.  There is a tremendous amount of knowledge and skill in that room.  Many of the people there hosted the AHS convention tour this past summer and their gardens are unbelievable.   Maybe someday my garden may be considered worthy of a tour.  Certainly it isn't yet.

Well today I put some dog poop on top of the one Lily Siberica bulb that I have left.  It appears that squirrels dug up and ate the other four.  I understand that dog poop will deter them.  Since we have plenty of that I used it after replanting the only bulb left.  We'll see if this control really works.

Yesterday I bought 5 Emerald Green Arborvitae (Thuja Orientalis 'Emerald Green').  These were on sale for about $18 each (50% off).  They are about 5 feet tall each in 3 gallon pots.  They will be planted along the fence to provide a screen between our deck and the neighbor's yard.  In 10 years they grown 10-12 feet high and 3-4 feet wide.  They'll get wintered over in a holding bed and then planted in the spring.  I need to build up the soil into a berm in that area.

Picture of Dryopteris Brilliance in the Umbrella Pine border.

No comments:

Post a Comment